Rays of delight podcast

Tuesday, May 04, 2010

Gerbils

I have bought a pair of gerbils, male and female.

As you may know, gerbils have a gestation period of 28 days.

That means from one original pair, you can get maybe 11 or 12 generations of gerbils in a year.


I have also bought a large, hermetically sealed aquarium tank.

I'll be supplying the gerbils with plenty of food, water and bedding materials, and excellent entertainment facilities.

As you know, standard air is about 78% nitrogen, 20% oxygen and 2% other useless gas.

Well, into my aquarium tank I am pumping modified air which is only 10% oxygen.

As the gerbils breed through generation after generation, I expect their lungs to change and evolve. As they do so, I will gradually reduce the oxygen level down to 5%.

Obviously there will be some gerbils who do not make it. This is survival of the fittest.

Eventually, I hope to breed a race of super gerbil who can conquer man's ultimate dream - rodents who can climb Mount Everest without the aid of artificial respiration.

No comments: